Tuesday, June 9, 2009

On Finding Work

This was posted in one of my forums today. The person that wrote it gave me permission to publish his ideas. I know many RFSOs are struggling to find work and this poster has some really good ideas.
Finding Work, A How To Option

I know how hard it is for some out there to find jobs.
So, I am going to tell everyone how I, an RSO have been able to make a six figure income and NEVER had a problem finding a job.
This is not something new to many out there. But for some of you it may be something you are completely unaware of.
Are you unemployed?
Is it only because of being a felon on the SOR?
Want a great job that pays good?
Here is what you do.
Start your own small business. NO it does not cost too much! I started my first business when I was 17 years old. I had NO money.
First you need to decide what you want to do for a living.
Let me give you some ideas.
Office Cleaning. Night work. Pays $25.00 to $50.00 per hour.
Handy Man. Anything from yard care to light carpentry. Pays $25.00 to $100.00 per hour.
Auto detailing. Easy work. Pays $20.00 to $50.00 per hour.
Computer repair. Pays $45.00 per hour.
So how do you go about this? Decide what you want to do. Determine if there is a need for the work you desire. If there is then go after the work. You will need to get some Proposals from a printers. Cost about $25.00
You may need some tools. Start with the bare minimum. Keep your cost down.
Next you will need to make contacts. For cleaning, go to office buildings. Small offices are best as they will not do background checks.
For handyman services. Run a free ad in a local paper, if that is available in your area. If not a one line ad for 30 days is cheap!
Auto detailing. I have a friend that goes to small auto dealerships. He does ok at that.
Computer repair. Again, a free or low-cost ad will do the trick.
Be imaginative.
In many instances you can become a subcontractor.
I own and operate a construction company. When I started out, I went from jobsite to jobsite bidding on work as a subcontractor. Within two years I had the second largest construction company in my town. In the third year it was the largest and people were coming to me for subcontracts.
This does work!
You can do what you know, almost anything.
What about registering. Well in many states the requirement is for an RFSO to list their employer. I do, it is my company. Same address as my address. It is legal. I do not have to list every house we build or ever remodel we contract. That is not required. One employer, ME!
Everyone can do this. It does take effort but you WILL make more working for yourself than working for someone else. You will have to keep good records for taxes. You will need to set up a bank account just for your business. You will need to set some money aside for taxes. But you will be FREE to set your own hours, work where you want, and earn what you want.
What if you have nothing to start with?
I started with a hammer, tin snips, and a nail pouch I borrowed from my Dad. He drove me to a construction site and I talked with the contractor. I explained that I really need a chance. He gave me that chance. After that I did work for that man for over 20 years until he retired.
A word here. I do not go broadcasting that I am a felon or that I am on the SOR. What I do tell the people is why I am qualified to do their job. And I do a better job that the next guy. I am trusted with the keys to their homes because I DO NOT steal from them.
I have worked for movie stars and sports figures and never once has the SOR issue came up.

Always be honest, work hard, go the extra step and you will succeed.

Here is a link to get free business cards to get started.
http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/pSearch/topDeals.aspx?GP=6%2f8%2f2009+10%3a37%3a23+PM&mk=Businees+Card+Free&ad=broad

Any other questions, just ask!

My answer, I too have been self employed so added some more ideas.

Awesome post!
I work for myself as a photographer, business is slow but since I am trying to get myself off disability I can take my time and build it up. I know most RSFOs could not photograph children as I do but there are many other ways to use your camera to obtain work, for instance photographing items for e-bay sellers. I have had many requests from other small start up business owners to photograph their items for brochures and their internet sites. This is an area of great need all it takes is a decent camera and an inexpensive set-up that allows you to filter the flash, I have even used a homemade set up with clamp lights.
If you can cook/bake how about making items for small restaurants? Like bread or desserts, I have done both. You need to get your kitchen inspected but other then that it's easy. Make your items up and set up an appointment with a local place and bring things for them to taste. They often have no place or time to do this kind of baking. I even had people who ordered breads on a weekly basis. They gave me their orders and we set up a time for them to pick them up. I got about $5 a loaf for something that cost pennies to make. That business started because I loved to bake a friend had a gluten intolerance and asked me if I could bake her a bread that she could eat. I did some research and found one she liked. Then her friends asked me to make other things, rolls, cinnamon buns, biscuits, different kinds of breads, even some cakes and pies. I was making around a $100 a week extra income, while going to college and working other part time jobs and raising my kids. If I had had the time to devote to it I could have done a lot more, in fact towards the end I had to turn people away.
How about car repair? website building? or something you can make? Such as candles, book shelves, miniatures for railroads and dollhouses, stained glass the list goes on. Find some niche where you have something unique and market yourself.
There are free classes you can take that teach how to get yourself set up, write a business plan etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Flaming allowed, all comments moderated